Monday, October 26, 2009

Slow-Cooked Chili


This is not a traditional chili but it is our favorite chili recipe. I got this recipe from Mr. Food many years ago. It is so easy to make. You basically dump almost all the ingredients in a slow cooker(crock pot) and let it cook. It's a great recipe for days when you don't have time to cook or just don't feel like cooking.

You will need:
2 pounds boneless beef chuck or round, cut into 1/2 inch peices ( I just buy stew meat that is already cut up therefore saving me more time)
2 cans (15.5oz each) black beans, drained and rinsed ( I have never used the beans because I don't like them)
1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel is the name brand for these tomatoes)
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 medium onion chopped ( I have never used the onion either as my husband doesn't like onions and there is plenty of onion in the salsa)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup thick and chunky salsa( any kind that you like will work, I usually use Pace Picante Sauce as we prefer that to salsa - I use Medium heat which gives this chili a bit more spice)

The following ingredients are optional. Mr. Food did not include them in his recipe, however, I never serve this chili without them.

Fritos
Shredded cheddar cheese
diced onion
sour cream

In a 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 quart slow cooker, combine all the ingredients except the salsa; mix well. Cover and cook on high setting for 5 to 5 1/2 hours, or on low setting for 8 to 9 hours, until beef is tender. Just before serving, stir in the salsa; cook for 2-3 minutes, until heated through.
Serve in a bowl topped with the optional ingredients of your choice.








No comments:

Post a Comment