Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Pioneer Woman's Perfect Potatoes au Gratin


This is a recipe that I got off of Pioneer Woman's website at http://thepioneerwoman.com/. She has a wonderful recipe collection and many have become favorites around here. I probably should get around to posting those recipes, it's just a matter of finding the pictures on the computer. I liked these and they were good but I still prefer my mom's recipe for scalloped potatoes. I think this recipe is more scalloped potatoes that are topped with some cheese then an au Gratin recipe. In my house growing up, au Gratin potatoes had way more cheese and was mixed in with the potatoes not just sprinkled on top. This is a very good recipe if you are looking for a change from regular scalloped potatoes or something new to try.

Ingredients:

4 whole russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
2 tablespoons butter, softened( I used vegetable oil as I used my Pampered Chef stoneware baking dish)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk(I used 2% because that's what I always have on hand)
2 tablespoons flour
4 cloves of garlic, finely minced ( I used dried minced garlic)
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Smear softened butter all over bottom of baking dish. Slice potatoes, then cut slices into fourths. In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper. Place 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over the potatoes. Repeat this two more times, ending with cream mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and really bubbling. Add grated cheese to the top of the potatoes and bake for 3-5 more minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Allow to stand for a few minutes before serving by the spoonful.



No comments:

Post a Comment