Thursday, February 4, 2010

Alfredo Sauce


This is my brother's recipe for alfredo sauce. You can add cooked chicken or shrimp. I usually cut up boneless skinless chicken breasts into bite size pieces and saute until done. Then I remove them from the pan and keep warm. In the same pan, I make this sauce and add the cooked chicken or shrimp in at the end. I don't measure my spices, I just sprinkle them in. I go very lightly on the red pepper flakes as I don't want this too spicy.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups milk (I use 2% milk)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon mince garlic ( this an estimate, I usually just sprinkle in dried minced garlic, so if you use fresh garlic you may want to reduce this to 1/2 tablespoon)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 6 oz bag shredded parmesan cheese (not the powder stuff in the green can)
Basil
Italian seasoning
Parsley ( I use dried)
Red pepper flakes
Salt
black pepper

Melt butter in saucepan with garlic and cook for about a minute. Add in flour and mix for a light blonde roux cooking for about 2 minutes. Slowly add milk in, whisking to prevent lumps. Add sprinkling of salt and then add cream. Sprinkle in basil, italian seasoning, parsley, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Stir to combine. And cook for about 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Wisk in half the bag of parmesan cheese ( I don't measure this either, I just grab one or two handfuls and toss it in.) Stir until cheese is melted. Add cooked chicken or shrimp. Serve over pasta of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment