Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup Like Max and Erma's


I found this recipe one evening after having a bowl of Chicken Tortilla Soup at Max and Erma's. It was so good but I didn't want to have to go to the restaurant just to have this soup. I figured there must be copycat recipe on the internet and of course there was. This recipe is from Robbie's Recipe Collection at http://recipes.robbiehaf.com. It tastes very similar to the restaurant version, in fact, I've never been back to the restaurant.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk ( I use 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream)
8 oz. Velveeta - cubed
10 oz. can RoTel tomatoes and chilies
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded ( I don't shred my chicken, I prefer chunks instead)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
flour tortillas - as needed, about 4-6 or Fritos
shredded colby jack cheese or mexican blend cheese (I use cheddar) - as needed

In a pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring often for 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in small amounts of chicken broth at a time, then whisk in milk. Stir in the spices (the orginal recipe says to stir in the spices after adding the Velveeta, I find it easier to add them in after the milk as they do not clump up like they do when the Velveeta is added first). Reduce heat to low and stir in Velveeta cubes, stir until melted. Stir in RoTel and chicken. Once the soup is heated through, it is ready to serve at this point. However, if you wish to make tortilla strips, it can sit over low heat while they are made. Stir the soup occasionally. For the tortilla strips, cut tortillas into strips and deep fry in 350 degree vegetable or peanut oil until golden, then drain on cooling racks. I never use tortilla strips, I find that Fritos taste just as good and saves me some time. Ladle soup into bowls and top with shredded cheese and tortilla strips or Fritos.

No comments:

Post a Comment