Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Baker's Dozen Yeast Rolls


This recipe is in the January/February 2010 edition of Simple and Delicious Magazine. I have subscribed to this magazine for years. They are a sister magazine to Taste of Home and they have wonderful recipes. This edition is full of many recipes that I will be trying. These rolls were very good and very easy to make. I used my kitchen aid stand mixer to do all the mixing and kneading. The only thing I would do different next time is bake them for a little bit longer. They were done but seemed to be doughy in texture still. The topping that goes on them is wonderful. My kids gobbled these down and loved the topping even though the ingredients didn't seem like they would go together well, they do. This recipe uses quick rise yeast which is incorporated with dry ingredients unlike regular yeast which is dissolved into the wet ingredients. I prefer quick rise yeast over regular yeast.

Ingredients:

2 - 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) quick-rise yeast
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup warm water (120 degrees to 130 degrees)
2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons butter, melted, divided
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons honey
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt

In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add water and 2 tablespoons melted butter; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in cheese and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes(I did this in my kitchen aid stand mixer). Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into 13 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place in a greased 9 inch round baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375 for 11-14 minutes ( next time I make these I will bake for 20 minutes) or until lightly browned. Combine the honey, garlic salt, and remaining butter; brush over rolls. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment