Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Amish Friend's Carmel Corn



I got this recipe off of Allrecipes. com. I made just a few changes. It's the best carmel corn.

Ingredients:

7 quarts plain popped popcorn ( I use corn pops located in the chip aisle because there are no kernels or hulls to deal with and my family just prefers it over regular popcorn in this recipe.)
2 cups dry roasted peanuts, optional ( I use 1 cup pecans and 1 cup almonds)
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup margarine ( I use butter)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Place the popcorn into two shallow greased baking pans and add peanuts if using. Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, margarine and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring enough to blend. Once the mixture begins to boil, boil for 5 minutes while stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in baking soda and vanilla. The mixture will be light and foamy. Immediately pour over the popcorn in the pans and stir to coat. Don't worry too much at this point about getting all of the corn coated. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Line counter with waxed paper. Dump the corn onto the wax paper and separate the pieces. Allow to cool completely, then store in airtight containers or resealable bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment