Friday, April 23, 2010

Hot Pretzels


This recipe is from the Crafters' Marketplace Cookbook from Shipshewana, Indiana. These pretzels are a family favorite. They come pretty close to our favorite pretzels that we would buy in Shipshewana from Jo Jo's Pretzels. At least according to what we remember, it's been a long time since we have had one of those delicious treats.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup brown sugar( I double this to 2/3 cup because Jo Jo's Pretzels were sweeter)
1 pkg. yeast(2 tablespoons)
1 1/2 cup warm water
5 cups flour


Boil:
3 cups water ( I double this to 6 cups as 3 didn't seem to be enough the pan I use)
3 tablespoons baking soda(I double this to 6 tablespoons)

Mix sugar, yeast, and water, then set aside for 5 minutes. Add flour. Stir until dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Turn out onto floured surface and knead until elastic. ( I do all this in my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer) Pull off golf -ball sized pieces and form into pretzel shapes. Drop into boiling water. Cook until it rises to the top. (I have had to gently stir them to unstick them from the bottom of the pan, I don't let them boil for more than 30 seconds) Remove for the water; place on greased pan. Sprinkle with salt( I do not sprinkle mine with salt until after I remove them from the oven.) Bake at 475 degrees for 8 minutes. After I take them out of the oven, I brush them with melted butter then sprinkle with Kosher salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment